Way back in the day when I was in high school I read that for every day you don’t remove your makeup before bed you are aging your face TWO days! That statement has stuck with me ever since and I’m pretty religious about cleaning my face at the end of every day. I’ve used everything from foaming cleansers to astringents and I’ve found that the best method for me is to use a gentle cleansing wipe because plain water isn’t enough to remove all the makeup and impurities but plain soap or astringent cleansers are too harsh for daily use. But more importantly, facial cleansing wipes are convenient and disposable so all I have to do is grab one, wipe my face, then toss the wipe in the trash – easy breezy and I have no excuses for not taking care of my skin.
These DIY facial cleansing wipes are very easy to make, they work very well to remove all the dirt and oil from your face without being abrasive, and they moisturize just enough as well. It takes just 5 ingredients to make them, including the essential oils, and if you run out, the ingredients are ones you most likely already have in your home.
The essential oils that are included in this recipe are for really good reason. They all are the best for treating your skin, among the other wonderful health benefits they have. The frankincense, known as the “king of all oils” has been used for skin benefits dating back to the ancient Egyptians and is very restorative for skin, helping to get rid of fine lines, wrinkles and spots. The geranium works wonderfully to balance the skin and keep it looking and feeling great. It cleanses well and you will see it in many facial products for this reason. The lavender is calming to the skin, keeping down any inflammation or puffiness, as well as helping to remove scarring or spots, plus it is also cleansing.
The container you store them in is up to you. A zip lock bag works great if you don’t have anything else handy, or they also look good on the counter in a decorative jar. I used an upcycled plastic pencil pouch for these. That makes them perfect for travel or for throwing in your purse because sometimes in our lives, whether it’s after a long, hard day at the office or an afternoon of working outside in the heat, we want a nice facial cleanser that is easy to use and takes little effort. These DIY face wipes are the perfect solution to that!
- 8 paper towels, cut into quarters (I would buy a nicer, thick towel, and not go with the cheap ones)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons witch hazel
- Container for storage
- 2 tbsp. fractionated coconut oil (If you prefer another oil to this, it could be used as well, likejojoba oil, but the coconut being fractionated type keeps it unscented and light)
- 8 drops Geranium essential oil, 7 drops frankincense essential oil and 8 drops lavender essential oil
- In a small mixing bowl, blend together the witch hazel and the essential oils with the fractionated coconut oil.
- Now, soak the paper towel pieces in this mixture by placing the whole stack down in the bowl. For me, I turned them over after a few minutes to the opposite side so they can draw up the mixture from not just one place.
- Now, go ahead and put them in the container, adding in any leftover mixture into the container as well, just pour it right over the towels.
- To use: Take one towel for each use and wipe down face and neck.