Last fall I made sausage cheese balls for our office holiday luncheon and they turned out very dry. By the time I got them to the office they seemed like little hockey pucks and I was pretty disappointed. I haven’t made any since then but I saw this Pillsbury recipe for Sausage Crescent Cheese Balls and figured I’d give them a try.
With just a few simple ingredients they were pretty easy to throw together. Instead of calling for flour like my previous unsuccessful attempt, these sausage cheese balls use crescent rolls and boy did they make a HUGE difference. I was very impressed with how moist and delicious these sausage crescent cheese balls turned out and I’m looking forward to making them again during the holidays for some quick and tasty appetizers.
At first I wasn’t sure how to incorporate the crescent roll dough into the classic sausage cheese ball recipe, but the instructions at the Pillsbury recipe page showed how easy it was to do. Just cut the dough into small squares with a pizza cutter and fold them into the sausage and cheese mixture. They add a great flavor and help keep the balls super moist.
You’ll find lots of great sales at Winn Dixie on Pillsbury Refrigerated Baked Goods products during this holiday baking season and there’s even a $1/3 Pillsbury Refrigerated Baked Goods products coupon that you can print for more savings!
- 1 lb bulk spicy sausage
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix sausage, cheese and rosemary; mix well using hands or spoon.
- Unroll crescent dough on work surface; coat each side of dough with 1 tablespoon flour. Using pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into about ¼-inch pieces. Mix crescent dough pieces into bowl of sausage mixture in small amounts until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 42 (1¼-inch) balls. Place in pan. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
I’m super excited to be able to giveaway $15 PayPal cash so one lucky reader can buy some Pillsbury Crescent Rolls to make their own favorite recipe. To enter to win just do any or all of the things listed in the Rafflecopter widget below. This giveaway will end at midnight on Saturday, November 21st.
I highly recommend Plan to Eat for a great place to store all your favorite recipes! Check it out with a free trial and see how easy it is to add recipes from the Internet, plan meals for your family and even print out a handy grocery list. Please also follow me on Pinterest for lots of other great recipe ideas!