With five young kids it’s often difficult to please everybody at the same time when it comes to dinner, but we all agree on tacos! They’re so easy to prepare and the kids enjoy them so much that we have taco night a couple times a month. This week I decided to do something a little different and put a spin on our usual taco night with these delicious Chicken & Avocado Taco Salad Boats and I’m thrilled to report that the kids all ate them up as well. It’s so nice to find a meal that is healthy, tasty and that everyone will eat!
Although it may look difficult it’s actually pretty easy to work with avocados. First take a sharp knife and slice all the way around the avocado, split it open and remove the pit. Next you can either go ahead and cut it into slices inside the skin, being careful not to pierce the outer skin, then use a spoon to separate the meaty part from the skin, or use the spoon and separate it first then cut into slices after removing the skin.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 package (4.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Stand 'N Stuff™ soft flour tortillas (8 tortillas)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 head lettuce
- ½ cup sour cream
- In 10-inch stainless steel or cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat until oil is hot. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side to brown chicken. Add 2 tablespoons water, sprinkle both sides of chicken with taco seasoning, and loosely cover skillet with foil or lid. Cook an additional 3 minutes, flipping chicken if necessary.
- While chicken is cooking in skillet, warm taco shells and gather toppings. Remove cooked chicken from skillet and thinly slice. Fill tortillas with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream
Publix is my favorite place to shop and I buy lots of Old El Paso products there like these Soft Tortilla Taco Boats and the kids’ favorite Hard and Soft Shell Taco Kits. I’m always very happy when I can mix in fresh, healthy ingredients like Avocados from Mexico, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. With Cinco de Mayo fast approaching Publix is going to have lots of exclusive in-store savings from 4/30 to 5/5 for #PublixFiesta so be sure to head on over and get everything you need for a DIY taco bar or your favorite guacamole so you can spice up your fiesta! Grab your coupons here before you go and don’t forget to check out the product websites for more recipes.
I’m super excited to be able to giveaway $15 PayPal cash so one lucky reader can buy some Old El Paso products and Avocados From Mexico for themselves. To enter to win just do any or all of the things listed in the Rafflecopter widget below. This giveaway will end at midnight on Friday, May 8th.