It’s just the first part of July and already it’s too hot to keep the kids outside all day so I’m always looking for ways to keep them busy and entertained inside. One of their favorite things to do it make homemade play dough and we really enjoy coloring it with Kool-Aid packages because it’s more fun than food coloring and makes the dough smell so good, so I went shopping at WalMart and picked out some Kool-Aid and other necessary ingredients.
We start out by making a big batch of dough, since I have five kids I make five times the single recipe below, then divide it into plastic bags for each kid and let them pour in the Kool-Aid in their favorite flavor or color and knead it together. Once they’re done with the kneading they have a blast making designs with it or using cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes.
- 1 package Kool-Aid
- 1 cup white flour
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid together in a pan.
- Stir in the water and vegetable oil then put the pan on the stove on medium heat.
- Stir constantly until the mixture begins to clump together in the pan.
- Remove from heat and let cool before kneading with your hands until lumps are gone.
- When done playing with the clay store in the refrigerator in a zip style bag or airtight container.
The kids are also huge fans of Big Time Rush and they got super excited when they heard that there is a current promotion where you can buy $6 worth of Kool-Aid and upload your receipt through the Shoparoo app then get a family four pack of Big Time Rush concert tickets for just $50.
There is even a cool contest going on right now where you can upload a photo of your family’s Kool-Aid creations for a chance to win meet and greet passes and tickets to a Big Time Rush concert near you. Hurry over and check it out, you can enter once per day per concert! This picture of my daughter’s Kool-Aid play dough heart creation was our entry for today.