Sure, you can buy pre-made biscuit mix at the store, but why not make your own at home? Having this mix on hand not only makes it a breeze to make biscuits and pancakes (you can use it just like the store bought variety), it also saves you money! Plus, you can read on for a few ideas on how to dress up homemade biscuits and make them into fun snacks and meals.
- 12 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and mix thoroughly. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut the butter into the mix. Store in an airtight container. This mix will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- To make biscuits, combine 2-1/4 cups of the mix with ⅔ cup milk and mix together until you have a nice soft dough. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface such as a cutting board or counter and cut into biscuits using a biscuit cutter (a clean soup or vegetable can or a drinking glass can substitute in a pinch). Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 450 for about 10 minutes.
As promised, here are a few suggestions for enjoying your homemade biscuits (other than as just a tasty accompaniment to a meal)!
• Top with cooked sausage and gravy to make biscuits and gravy
• Crumble into a bowl and mix with pie filling—top with a bit of cinnamon and sugar and a scoop of ice cream for a yummy dessert!
• Cut in half and spread each half with pizza sauce. Top with sausage, pepperoni, and/ or veggies. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted, and voila! You have tiny pizzas!
• Cut in half, add a cooked sausage patty or bacon and a cheese slice, pop in the microwave for a few seconds and you have a quick breakfast.
I highly recommend Plan to Eat for a great place to store all your favorite recipes! Check it out with a free trial and see how easy it is to add recipes from the Internet, plan meals for your family and even print out a handy grocery list.
Photo Credit: iClipart