I save all the coupons that I find, even if I know that I won’t be using them (thank goodness all five of my young’ns are out of diapers!) because I love to share with people who can use them, plus I give away $50 worth of coupons every week to a lucky reader. Even though I give so many coupons away, I always tends to have lots of leftover expired coupons at the end of the month and I just can’t bear to throw them away because it feels like I’m tossing out money! Did you know that members of the military can still use those expired coupons for up to six months after the expiration date at commissaries around the world? My dad is retired Air Force and I have two brothers and a sister who all served in the military so I know how tight money can be for service members and I feel very strongly about helping them out however possible.
Recently one of my favorite long time readers wrote in to ask me about how to save coupons for the troops and I was ashamed to realize that I haven’t done a post on this topic before! Thanks so much Tami for giving me the push I needed to get it done I’m very proud of her, and others like her, who take the time to sort and bundle their expired coupons and share them with our troops. If you’d also like to help support our military personnel and their families, don’t throw away your expired coupons, donate them! Here are some helpful tips and resources:
- Only send manufacturer’s coupons, store coupons cannot be used overseas.
- Restaurant coupons, food stamps and assistance vouchers also cannot be used.
- Some organizations that process coupons for shipping to the troops accept printable coupons while others don’t, so check first before sending those.
- Since most bases have a grocery store and a department store they can use all types of coupons, but please divide them into food and non-food categories.
- Package your coupons into separate bags after dividing them and label the outside of the bag either ‘food’ or ‘non-food’ so they can be sent to the appropriate store to be shared with shoppers.
- Please do not send coupons with expiration dates over two months old so that they have time to get to their destinations and be used before the six month timeframe is over.
Check out these fabulous organizations that will help you process your expired coupons:
Donna Presslor (Coordinator)
205 N. Harrison St.
Russellville, IN 46175 (she coordinates several coupon packages for shipment overseas)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amber LaFoy (Assistant Coordinator)
SGT Retired 1166th Military Police Company
742 Dairy Farm Road
Moundville, AL 35474
Email Address: email@example.com
Overseas Coupon Program (helps you adopt a specific base)